Are you considering supporting our Underwater Sombrero project, but want more information on how supporting it works before you decide?
The process is very simple. Project owners put together a proposal for their project and submit it to Kickstarter for approval. Among other things, that proposal includes a funding goal and a funding timeline. The goal is the amount of money the project needs to succeed, and the timeline is the amount of time the project planners want to have to try to recruit enough project supporters to meet the funding goal.
In our case, we’ve determined we need at least $8000 to make our project succeed and we’ve decided that we’re going to try to meet that goal in 30 days. After Kickstarter reviews our project and determines it meets their guidelines, the project is launched. Once the project is launched, our job is to recruit supporters and get their pledge to support the project. When a supporter makes a pledge, they provide their billing information, pledge amount and credit card number. There is NO CHARGE at the time of the pledge. Pledge amounts start at one dollar ($1) and we’ll happily accept all the support we can get.
Once the deadline is reached, IF there are enough supporters to meet at least the $8000 goal, then the project is funded, supporters credit cards are billed, the resulting money is transferred and the project work begins. In return for the pledge, the supporter will receive an incentive item. This item is based on the amount of support and at any level is a product of the project. Supporters receive their pledge incentives when the project has been completed and the incentives are produced.
With respect to the Underwater Sombrero project the timeline is this:
- We launch September 5, 2012 (in celebration of the project lead’s birthday 🙂 )
- We recruit project supporters pledges for 30 days.
- If you pledge to support the project, you agree to an amount and provide your billing info at the time of the pledge, BUT ARE NOT CHARGED
- On October 5, 2012, if we reach our $8000 goal, your card will be charged for the amount you pledge. If the goal is not met, there is no charge. Kickstarter projects are ALL OR NOTHING.
- If funded, we’ll receive access to the funds mid October and will start project work
- If there are extra funds, they will be applied to improving the project with video and possibly a larger book product.
- Project related travel and SCUBA diving will be conducted late December
- Book and incentive preparation is expected to be done by March 2013 and supporters will receive the prints, books and other materials based on their level of support.
Please keep in mind that your support of our project IS NOT A DONATION. With your support of our project, you are purchasing a tangible item and with this purchase, making our project a reality.
We appreciate that you’re considering supporting the Underwater Sombrero project. Thank you for your time. If you have questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to send us an email at email@example.com